Articles for Non-Lawyers

Which insurance company pays my accident benefits? by Patricia Santucci

If you own an automobile, even if it was not involved in the accident, you will apply to your own insurer for accident benefits. If you do not have your own insurance policy, you will apply to your spouse’s insurance company or to the insurance company of the person you are dependent on. If neither of these situations apply to you, you should apply to the insurance company of the car in which you were an occupant at the time of the collision, or, if you were a pedestrian, the insurer of the car that hit you. If you were an occupant of an uninsured vehicle or if you were a pedestrian struck by an uninsured vehicle, you should apply to the insurance company of any other vehicle involved in the collision. If you believe that there is no insurance company related to any person or any vehicle involved in the collision, you must apply to the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund to receive your accident benefits. (59)

Avatar Image | P. Santucci
About the Author Patricia Santucci

Patricia Santucci is a personal injury lawyer born and raised in Hamilton, Ontario. She holds several degrees having attended King’s College at the University of Western Ontario, McMaster University, earned a Master of Arts degree at the University of Windsor and an Ontario Teaching Degree from Teacher’s College as well as her Ontario Teaching Certificate. After graduating from the University of Alberta law school she was called to the bar in 2000. You can find Patricia on and LinkedIn or directly through this website

Featured Article

Roger D. Yachetti April 14, 1940 – September 16, 2018 “Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.” – Shannon Alder Inspiring people lead by example. Their passion, intelligence, and leadership reflected not just through their own achievements, but also […]

Read more