Articles for Non-Lawyers

What do I need to do in order to apply for short term or long term disability benefits? by Patricia Santucci

You will need to complete a number of documents in order to apply for and receive short term and long term disability benefits. These documents may vary between various insurance companies. However, generally speaking, you will need to complete
(1) a general short term or long term disability application form
(2) have your doctor complete a separate medical form describing the nature of your disability along with a descriptions of your restrictions and limitations
(3) have your employer fill out a separate form describing your job and the physical and mental requirements of your job. (8)

Avatar Image | P. Santucci
About the Author Patricia Santucci

Patricia Santucci is a personal injury lawyer born and raised in Hamilton, Ontario. She holds several degrees having attended King’s College at the University of Western Ontario, McMaster University, earned a Master of Arts degree at the University of Windsor and an Ontario Teaching Degree from Teacher’s College as well as her Ontario Teaching Certificate. After graduating from the University of Alberta law school she was called to the bar in 2000. You can find Patricia on and LinkedIn or directly through this website

Featured Article

Roger D. Yachetti April 14, 1940 – September 16, 2018 “Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.” – Shannon Alder Inspiring people lead by example. Their passion, intelligence, and leadership reflected not just through their own achievements, but also […]

Read more