Articles for Non-Lawyers

How do I know if I have enough LTD coverage? by Patricia Santucci

If you have group coverage through your employer, you should obtain your benefits booklet and ask your office manager (or whomever is in charge of your benefits) to walk you through the LTD coverage. If your plan is a private one, you should contact your broker to explain your coverage. Hopefully you will have coverage for at least 60% of your pre-accident salary. You should make sure that your coverage (taking into account the monthly maximum payments) is enough to pay for your monthly living expenses, including mortgage payments, utilities, municipal taxes, transportation and food costs. When calculating your coverage, keep in mind that payments from private disability insurance are tax-free, while the payout from most corporate plans is taxable if your employer paid the premium. (35)

Avatar Image | P. Santucci
About the Author Patricia Santucci

Patricia Santucci is a personal injury lawyer born and raised in Hamilton, Ontario. She holds several degrees having attended King’s College at the University of Western Ontario, McMaster University, earned a Master of Arts degree at the University of Windsor and an Ontario Teaching Degree from Teacher’s College as well as her Ontario Teaching Certificate. After graduating from the University of Alberta law school she was called to the bar in 2000. You can find Patricia on and LinkedIn or directly through this website

Featured Article

Roger D. Yachetti April 14, 1940 – September 16, 2018 “Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.” – Shannon Alder Inspiring people lead by example. Their passion, intelligence, and leadership reflected not just through their own achievements, but also […]

Read more